Thursday, February 11, 2010

Vegan Creamy Cheesy Ham & Peas Pasta

I made something like this years and years ago with prosciutto and actual cream... I can't remember what the recipe was called and my google-fu is failing me, so... Well... Yeah... There's that, then... (Nice intro, right?)

This morning, I was remembering how it tasted and thought I could probably make up a vegan version with the fake ham (http://www.yvesveggie.com/products/detail.php/meatless-ham-slices) that I had left over from my Vegan McMuffins that I made earlier this week (Yum!).

So, I put some pasta on to cook and started prepping my ingredients. I used the same pot to cook up my sauce while my pasta drained in the sink.

I took some finely chopped green onions out of the freezer, then finely minced a clove of garlic and thinly sliced a few slices of that faux ham and sautéed those three things in a mess of Earth Balance butter.

When they were heated through and yummy (really, heat it through so that any sharpness from your garlic is gone), I added some soymilk (I buy those lunch soy milks to cook with, since I do not like drinking the plain kind.), the nutritional yeast, and two slices of fake cheddar cheese (also leftover from the Tasty Vegan McMuffins).

Truth be told, I had to keep adding soymilk to keep the sauce from really firming up... I used about a box and a half total, but started with just the one box.

Then, I tossed in a bag of frozen petite peas. I was going to just use half the bag, but those peas looked so darn tasty that I threw caution to the wind and put 'em all in.

When the peas were done, I put the pasta back in the pot and just stirred it all up.

I served that tastiness up with some ground pepper. White pepper would have been nice. As would have freshly ground pepper, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

I froze several servings in single serve Ziploc plastic bags to take to RockIt, because she just had a baby and needs food for her freezer!

Ingredients:
1 box of sulfite-free orecchiette pasta
1/4 cup fake butter
1/2 cup green onions, (about 1/2 cup)
1 small bag of frozen petite peas
4 slices fake ham, cut into thin strips
1 1/2 - 2 lunch sized boxes of plain soymilk
3/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
2 slices of vegan cheddar/American cheese
pepper to taste (really, you're not going to need *any* salt here)

No comments: