Friday, January 22, 2010

Spaghetti Made of Awesome and TVP

I love the food processor. So very much. And I don't think that I could attempt this sauce without it. Or, if I did, the carrots would show and then my Mom wouldn't eat it. Tee hee hee...

Throw an onion in the food processor. Chop it up. Put it in a big pot on the stove with some olive oil and brown the onion. This is a crucial step, as it will provide the sauce with a flavor of heartiness.

Throw a bag of baby carrots into the food processor. Grind them up fine. When your onion is browned, add the carrots.

Throw a big ol' bunch of basil and 4-6 cloves of garlic into the food processor. Chop this up finely, as well. Add to the pot on the stove.

Add some oregano and a few bay leaves. I like to buy my spices as I need them in bulk, because it's less expensive and the dried herbs are more potent when they haven't been sitting in my cupboard for ten zillion years.

Open up 3 big cans of tomato sauce and one can of tomato paste. Empty them into the pot.

Cut up several (3 large) zucchini and add them to the pot. I like to cut them in quarters lengthwise and then chop 'em into little bits. The food processor does not do this one well. Use your knife skills.

Add a lot of fresh spinach and cook until the zucchini and the spinach are done.

Pour in about a cup or so of TVP.

You can also add some nutritional yeast. This makes for a cheesy-tomato sauce, which I enjoy, but you may not. You might. Go for it.

I like this over shells or orichette or fusilli or something like that, instead of spaghetti noodles, but, hey, make your own choices…

No comments: